About the Top 25
18. Divisions at Friesens Corp., an employee-held Canadian printing company, include books, yearbooks, wholesale, retail, learning products and fastprint. The Friesens Graphic Arts College, recently accredited by Winnipeg's Red River Community College, trains students to become highly skilled technicians and craftspeople. Taught by experienced professionals, courses are held in both the classroom and plant.
19. Hart Graphics offers numerous state-of-the-art manufacturing services including: online file transfer; digital asset management; flexible, page-based, digital workflow (using RamPage technology with FUJI Pictro digital color proofing); HP plotter imposition proofing; Sumo imagesetter (36 flats/hr.); and Javelin platesetter (16 plates/hr.).
20. Formed from the merger of Braun-Brumfield and BookCrafters, Sheridan Books produces hardcover and paperback books in various sizes and bindings in print runs of 250 to 100,000. A division of The Sheridan Group, Hunt Valley, Md., Sheridan Books specializes in black and white printing of text, photos and illustrations. Cover presses can print full-color dust jackets and paperback covers. Their distribution facility is in Chelsea, Mich.
21. Established in 1970, Toppan Printing Co. of America offers prepress, printing, binding, fulfillment, warehousing and distribution services. Part of the Japanese firm Toppan Printing Co., the American division began as a color separator and film service bureau, and has since evolved into one of the New York metro area's largest full-service printers, producing not only books, but also catalogs, annual reports, corporate and sales printed materials, and more.
22. Founded in 1975, McNaughton & Gunn specializes in short to medium print runs in standard trim sizes in both sheetfed and heatset web printing. It offers various binding styles, as well.
23. Thomson-Shore specializes in short to medium runs of 200 to 10,000 copies. About a third of its customer base is comprised of university presses.
24. Versa Press is a third-generation, family-owned and managed, book manufacturer that's been producing soft- and hardcover books for 63 years. Ideally suited for short and medium runs, Versa Press offers comprehensive manufacturing capabilities, beginning with its own patented prepress system and continuing through to binding.