Inkling Unveils Inkling Habitat, the New Standard for Professional Publishing
Paired with the Inkling Content Discovery Platform, Inkling now offers an end-to-end solution to build and distribute high-quality digital book content at scaleFebruary 12, 2013
SAN FRANCISCO – February 12, 2013 – Inkling, maker of the leading publishing platform for high-quality digital content, today publically released Inkling Habitat, a free, collaborative digital publishing environment designed for professionals. Paired with the recently launched Inkling Content Discovery Platform, which enables unparalleled online discovery for nonfiction book content, Inkling now provides the only end-to-end solution for publishers to build, market, and distribute high quality digital books at scale.
“For the last five years, the digital book market has been dominated by a single player. Products have been limited to 10-dollar text files, but there is another massive market for illustrated books, from textbooks to travel books, cooking, hobbies, medicine, and more, that demands the media-rich, interactive experience that mobile devices were built for,” said Matt MacInnis, Founder and CEO of Inkling. “Today we’re announcing a powerful new way for publishers to create beautiful, media-rich books, while also making it easier for customers to find and buy them.”
Inkling Habitat: The first collaborative digital publishing environment for professionals
Using Inkling Habitat, publishers will finally have the tools to build high-quality digital content they can be proud of. With Habitat, publishers can:
- Collaborate seamlessly from anywhere in the world: Fully cloud-based, Habitat lets teams of editors, developers and designers from New York to New Delhi communicate, collaborate, and coordinate in real time, from first edit to final publish.
- Build delightful interactive content experiences: Publishers can integrate multimedia and enhanced content, including images, audio, and video, into both existing and digital- first books. For readers, the experience is as gorgeous as it is intuitive.
- Publish to multiple platforms with one click: Content can be published to multiple platforms with automatic formatting for any screen size. Plus, publishers can even export titles to standards-compliant EPUB for distribution across third-party channels.
Inkling Content Discovery Platform: Search is the new storefront
Inkling’s Content Discovery Platform (“CDP”) unlocks book content so that it can be indexed by search engines like Google and read by users when searching for relevant topics.
- Discovery and sharing anywhere: Every section inside an Inkling book has its own URL that can be indexed by search engines, or shared individually, letting readers more easily discover, share, and buy the book content they are looking for. After a limited number of views per book, readers are prompted to purchase either a chapter or the entire book.
- New revenue opportunities: From individual title and chapter sales in the Inkling Store to single-title apps in the App Store, or standards-compliant EPUB export for third-party distribution, opportunities for incremental revenue are unlimited.
Strong Partner Momentum in Consumer, Professional and Academic Markets
Already, more than two dozen existing publishing partners call Inkling home, including McGraw- Hill, Pearson, Wolters Kluwer, Elsevier and Wiley, and popular brands like Frommer's, For Dummies, Kaplan Test Prep, and O'Reilly, who have already had their content built using pre- release versions of Habitat.