Muller Martini Introduces Array of New Products, Services for Book Industry
(Press Release) Hauppauge, N.Y.-based manufacturer Muller Martini has introduced a variety of new products and services this week:
The Orbit Three Knife Trimmer
The latest addition to Muller Martini’s family of three knife trimmers will be up-and-running during Graph Expo. Suited for the mid-to-high performance range, the revolutionary Orbit Three Knife Trimmer features full automation and the ability to trim up to 80 mm at 7,200 cph. Perhaps, most importantly, it does complete changeovers in only three minutes. That’s due in part to the fact that the Orbit’s settings can be optimized as the machine is running, so that the required quality and productivity can be achieved in the shortest possible time.
Graph Expo attendees can come to Muller’s Booth #637 to examine first-hand the Orbit’s highly durable, single cast design. They’ll also have a unique opportunity to see how the Orbit Three Knife Trimmer tackles even the most stringent quality demands. Muller product specialists will demonstrate how the Orbit’s settings can be optimized on the fly making it possible to achieve top quality and high net output—within the shortest possible time.
Other Orbit performance features on display at Graph will include:
- SmartPress. This proprietary, servo-drive technology provides for a gentle, controlled pressing process in which air between the paper fully escapes from the product. This results in the optimal precondition for perfect trim and ultimately prevents costly line stoppages.
- Swing cut. The Orbit’s transport, pressing and cutting units are driven independently of each other. This helps assure the optimal trimming speed regardless of the machine’s cycle time.
- User-friendly operation. The Orbit features clearly arranged, intuitive controls which allow the operator to quickly prepare for the next job while the current job is still running.
In particular, perfect bound book manufacturers looking to lower expenses while still achieving a high-quality product should make a point to visit Muller Martini Booth #637 at Graph to witness what the Orbit does best: rapid set-ups and high net output.
Graph Expo takes place October 3-6, 2010 at McCormick Place South in Chicago, Illinois. Muller Martini engineers and experts will be on hand at Booth #637 to provide insight and ideas about how Muller’s innovative technology and workflow solutions can help printers and binderies grow their businesses.
Today’s challenging economy, coupled with intense competition, has compelled companies to demand more from their capital equipment investments. In response to this need, Muller Martini has developed MMServices, a robust suite of products and services with one singular goal: to improve a machine’s net output.
Visitors to Muller Martini’s Booth #637 at Graph Expo can learn complete details about this fully integrated, 7-module program that brings together the functions of machine, people and workflow in order to produce optimum productivity. Services can be used individually or combined and will enable customers to:
- Lower production costs
- Properly maintain equipment
- Upgrade and retrofit existing equipment with the latest technological advances
- Exceed productivity expectations through effective training, including e-learning
- Better plan workflow processes
Employing best practices, MMServices is staffed by Muller’s certified engineering and support team and features the following highly integrated service offerings:
- MMStartup. Muller Martini’s technicians and engineers get the machine up and running while customizing the system’s technology to achieve high production reliability.
- MMRepair. This original spare parts and repair service ensures an optimum level of production with limited downtime.
- MMRemote. A secure, password protected 24/7 remote access capability for updates and troubleshooting direct with the factory.
- MMUptodate. Machine updates ensure that equipment continues to run efficiently while maintaining state-of-the-art performance levels.
- MMInspect. Muller technicians test system conditions at regular intervals to prevent unexpected production downtimes.
- MMImprove. Muller’s productivity experts assess and improve the performance of an organization’s equipment, operators and workflow in order to lower production costs and enhance competitiveness.
- MMRelocation – Relocation of your equipment treated like a new machine installation by the people who know the machine best
- MMMaintain – Regularly scheduled maintenance programs
- MMTrain – State-of-the-art operator training, including an industry-first e-learning component
- MMSupplies – Muller Martini branded machine consumables, including stitching wire, strapping materials and end boards
With MMServices, Muller Martini’s customers can maximize not just their return on investment, but the value they deliver to their own customers. At Graph Expo, visitors to Booth #637 are invited to sign up for a free Productivity Audit. This complimentary assessment, performed by a Muller Martini Productivity Analyst, demonstrates how productivity levels can be increased on current Muller Martini machinery.
The New High-Performance Primera 160
The high net output of 16,000 cycles per hour in all run lengths and wide range of sizes makes the Primera 160 a powerful all-round machine. Thanks to its ergonomic design and modern control concept, the Primera is extremely user-friendly and is quick to set up. Machine operators particularly appreciate the clearly laid-out setup wizard, which considerably reduces the setup time to a mere seven-step process.
"Today's customers face individual challenges in terms of run sizes, size range and job structure,” explains Felix Stirnimann, Head of Marketing at Muller Martini Print Finishing Systems AG. "And, in turn, this requires customer-specific system solutions, which is why Muller Martini offers the Primera 160 with two different levels of automation."
The feeder, gathering chain, stitching machine and three-knife trimmer are all synchronized automatically on the Primera C160 and the optimum engaging positions can be calculated using the sizes submitted. The units are then automatically engaged in the correct duty cycle.
The Primera E160 features the fully automated AMRYS size setup solution (Automatic Make Ready System). The feeder, stitching machine, three-knife trimmer and stacker are quickly and automatically set to the required size and synchronized, which means this saddle stitcher is set up and ready to produce the new job in the shortest possible time.
To ensure it can deliver reliable and efficient production at speeds of up to 16,000 cycles an hour, the Primera 160 features a single gathering chain. The close fitting feed for the signature enables the signature stability to be improved when being conveyed. In addition, the Magic Wheel in the feeder ensures that the signature is transported longer and guided and securely placed on the chain during feed mode. The cutting process for the sturdy 0408 three-knife trimmer has been optimized to boost the productivity one step further: The new servo-controlled pressing device releases the product immediately after the cutting action for downstream processing.
Besides its high productivity, the Primera 160 also sets itself apart through its flexible production capabilities: products in the A7 to A3 size range can be produced in a range of customized variations, even in two-up or three-up production. "In this performance range, we have found that our customers' orders are becomingly increasingly complex and the product make-up ever more extensive. Therefore, feeder reconfiguration on the new Primera 160 is even quicker and simpler to accommodate individual jobs," says Mr. Stirnimann.
A versatile conversion trolley means that folder feeders, signature feeders and merchandise tippers are incredibly easy to transfer so the machine can be prepared for the new job. The new 0382 mobile merchandise tipper increases the number of product make-up variations; it can be quickly inserted into any position without much extra work to produce cards, merchandise samples and CDs
A comprehensive process monitoring system is vital when it comes to achieving high net outputs, which is why the Primera 160 offers extensive quality checks to ensure impeccable stitching quality, complete products and considerably less production waste. The new Smart Stitch Control staple control not only checks whether staples are present, but also that they are the correct shape.
Thanks to the Connex workflow system from Muller Martini, the Primera 160 is quick to integrate into the digital workflow, and the new Connex information system logs the current production data and displays it on a desktop or large screen.
About Muller Martini
Muller Martini is the world’s largest producer of print finishing solutions for commercial and book printers, trade binderies, newspapers, and digital book manufacturers. They are also the world’s leading manufacturer of variable size web offset presses. Muller’s innovative workflow solutions optimize processing efficiencies, while helping to build new revenue streams. With U.S. headquarters in Hauppauge, New York, Muller’s sales and support team provides training and responsive service to printers and binderies nationwide. Their state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities are located in Newport News, Virginia, and in Allentown, Pennsylvania, home to Muller Martini Mailroom Systems, Inc.