Social Media, Author Contracts and Vendor Management Among Issues to be Addressed at PBC
With nearly 50 educational conference sessions, the 2010 Publishing Business Conference & Expo (PBC) has something for every publishing executive.
Today, we are spotlighting six sessions that are already generating a buzz among our registrants. Be sure to check out the rest of the conference agenda, highlighted by our Keynote Event: A Q&A With Steve Forbes. And don't miss next week's edition of Publishing Business Insider, as we'll be announcing PBC's full lineup of speakers. Register now and save $150 AND receive a free Sony E-reader.
Today's Spotlighted Sessions for Book Publishers:
The Book Publishers' Social Media Strategy Guide
Tuesday, March 9, 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM
Get firsthand insights from leading social media experts into how you can best leverage social media to market your titles and authors. This session will present case studies of successful social media efforts, along with practical tips to help you:
• develop a successful social media strategy for your existing titles, next launch or author platforms
• evaluate the costs and potential ROI
• avoid common mistakes
• get a maximum return for your efforts on Twitter, Facebook, Second Life and others
• establish in-house support to carry out your social media strategy effectively with little or no investment
… and more!
• Brett Cohen, Vice President, Quirk Books
• Kat Meyer, Chief Content Wrangler, Next Chapter Communications
• Debbie Stier, SVP, Associate Publisher, HarperStudio; Director of Digital Marketing, HarperCollins
Rethinking Author Contracts for the Digital World
Tuesday, March 9, 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
The opportunities presented by the digital content realm have created a slew of new issues regarding author contracts and rights negotiations. This session will help you establish best practices for author contracts, including:
• rights and payment structures for digital rights
• rights/fees for chunked digital content
• rights/fees for digital-first and digital-only titles
… and more.
• Christopher Kenneally, Director, Author & Creator Relations, Copyright Clearance Center
• Dennis Johnson, Co-founder and Publisher, Melville House Publishing
• Sara Pearl, Vice President, Director of Business Affairs, Trident Media Group
• John Silbersack, Executive Vice President, Trident Media Group
Vendor Management in Lean Economic Times
Monday, March 8, 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Increasing operational and manufacturing costs, combined with the recession—and the accompanying tight credit conditions and unpredictable revenue streams—have strained many publishers' finances like never before. During unprecedented times like these, some traditional methods of vendor management, purchasing and contract negotiation may not be in your best interest. This session will explore:
• simple steps that make a huge difference in cash flow
• contract negotiation tactics for lean times
• operational and business processes you can restructure for better cash management
… and more.
• Charles Ault, Assistant Director and Director of Production, Temple University Press
• David Hetherington, Director, Major Accounts, Digital Media Group, Baker & Taylor
• Phillip Lee, Manufacturing Director, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins
• Owen Mitchell, Senior Vice President, Global Sourcing, Pearson PLC
ABOUT THE EVENT
The Publishing Business Conference & Expo (PBC) is guaranteed to arm you with fresh new strategies, tips and tactics to help you and your company evolve, profit and thrive in a shifting publishing marketplace. PBC addresses the technology AND the business of publishing better than any other event.
WHEN: March 8-10, 2010
WHERE: NYC Marriott Marquis
WHY: To learn and lead ... or get left behind!
View the conference agenda here.
In addition to the dynamic conference agenda, attendees see the latest publishing solutions and innovations in an exhibit hall fully staffed with nearly 100 world-class suppliers, including Bang Printing, PageSuite, Texterity, Total Printing Systems, Univenture, Worldcolor and many more.
Book and magazine publishing executives can register here.
For information on sponsoring/exhibiting contact Mike Cooper, Exhibit Sales Manager, 215-238-5434, email@example.com, or your Book Business or Publishing Executive sales representative.