- Volunteer committee organizes support for charities.
Why F.A. Davis thinks it’s a great place to work:
“F.A. Davis offers employees interesting work for competitive pay and great benefits, and a respectful, friendly work environment. We’re motivated to perform well, but we value more than the bottom line, and it shows in the way we do business every day.”
2. Hachette Book Group (HBG)
U.S. Headquarters: New York, N.Y.
Chairman and CEO: David Young
HBG is a major U.S. trade publisher and a division of Hachette Livre, the second-largest publisher in the world. It publishes under the divisions of Little, Brown and Co., Little Brown Books for Young Readers, Grand Central Publishing, FaithWords, Center Street, Orbit and Hachette Digital. HBG also provides distribution and sales services.
- Number of new hires*: 233
- Rate of voluntary turnover*: 11%
- Bonus or incentive program for all employees: Yes
- Employee stock option/profit-sharing: No/No
401(k) or 403(b) retirement savings program:
- Employer contribution: 3%
- Employer match: 67%
- Maximum match: 6%
- Paid holidays/year: 9
- PTO includes: Vacation, sick, personal
- Vacation days available after 1 year: 15
- Maximum no. of vacation days: 25 (after 10 years)
- Sick days: Unlimited
- Personal days: 2
- Highlights: Employees can work from home one or more days/week.
- Option to work compressed work weeks: No
- Employee assistance program: Yes
- On-site exercise and fitness facilities: Yes
- On-site fitness/wellness programs: Yes
- Adoption assistance.
- Tuition reimbursement (100% for job-related courses; 50% for others).
- Employee contribution to health coverage is based on a set percentage of salary.
Other programs or practices that promote a healthy work/life balance:
- Up to 10 days of free, back-up childcare.
- Pool and ping-pong tournaments; softball teams in Boston and New York.
Why HBG thinks it’s a great place to work:
“We publish great books well, enjoy a long record of growth and success, and provide a supportive work environment in which employees can learn, be creative, find balance and have fun!”