E-commerce-Solution Shopping Made Easy
6. Is there a customer service focus to the solution’s design?
7. What credit card processing capabilities exist?
8. Is this a parameter-driven solution that allows the user to adjust as their business needs change?
9. What kind of training is required?
10. What level of support will I need, and can I expect from the company?
Robert Coon, president of Dydacomp Development Corp.—another e-commerce solution provider whose customer list includes Dow Jones & Company Inc.,Yankee Publishing, P.E.T.A., Burke Publications, among others—points out that investing time up front in a thorough product and service evaluation can save valuable time and money in the long run. He offers the following tips for aiding in this process:
1. When reviewing software designed to run your entire e-commerce operation or more, it’s important to go beyond the marketing bullets. For example, just because two vendors may list “drop shipping” as a feature, it doesn’t mean that both can accommodate your specific need. Doing as much hands-on testing of the software as possible is the best way to make sure you make the best decision for your organization.
Once you have narrowed your options down to a few top solutions, be sure to ask each vendor for a working trial edition. Account representatives and references are great for a general overview, but only a working trial edition will allow you to test-drive the application before making a commitment.
2. It’s important to find out how the vendor supports its customers. Is there phone support or just online support? Do they provide end-user documentation? Is offsite or on-site training available?
3. In the case of a hosted e-commerce solution, questions must be asked about server infrastructure, security and uptime. Are technicians available 24/7 for emergencies? How much downtime do they experience each year? What type of redundancy is in place for power?
- Burke Publications
- CyberWolf Inc.
- Datasystem Solutions Inc.
- Digital River
- Dow Jones & Co. Inc.
- Global Turnkey Solutions
- Gulf Publishing Co.
- International Business Systems
- Klopotek International North America
- M.E. Sharpe
- Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia
- Morse Data Corp.
- NYU Press
- Overdrive Inc.
- Penguin Group (USA)
- Presbyterian Publishing
- RR Bowker
- Scholastic Inc.
- The Media Services Group Ltd.
- Trilogy Enterprise Systems
- Vista International
- Yankee Publishing