About the Top 25
1. R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company is the leading North American book printer. The company's book operations provide a full range of integrated service solutions to help book publishers deliver communications to their customers. With seven book operations across the nation, R.R. Donnelley provides services such as
* hardcover and softcover book manufacturing using web-offset, sheetfed-offset and digital printing
* conventional and digital prepress operations, including composition and page makeup;
* custom publishing and print on demand;
* packaging design and assembly; and
* online services, in which customers' digital information is converted into Web-ready formats.
2. Quebecor World is the largest commercial printer in the world. It serves, among other customers, book publishers of educational, consumer, reference, religious and speciality titles. The company offers a large and diverse manufacturing base, global procurement, economies of scale and new media technologies.
3. Von Hoffman Graphics is an ISO 9002-certified, full-service book printer with eight manufacturing locations for one- to four-color web printing with multi-color covers. VHG offers: small-, medium- and long-run book production; perfect and case binding; saddle stitching; and book production with bound-in CD-ROMs. Other services include CTP, FTP and WAM!NET, along with warehousing, kitting, and distribution for single-source needs.
4. Banta Corp. offers a wide range of softcover book products, catalogs, and value-added packaging and fulfillment services for the educational, religious, professional, telecommunications, healthcare, financial and trade markets. In addition, the company prints technical documentation manuals at its three ISO-9002-certified plants. It offers electronic design and composition, page layout, proofing and imaging services, and alternative media, such as CD-ROMs, diskettes, cassette tapes and more.
5. Bertelsmann Arvato, an international, media-service provider network owned by Bertelsmann AG, Germany, offers worldwide customers myriad printing services including digital prepress, print on demand and CTP.
6. Founded in 1824, Courier is the largest book manufacturer in the northeastern United States. A recognized technology leader, Courier focuses on large and small publishers in the education, religious, specialty trade, medical and reference markets. Its five manufacturing plants produce one-, two- and four-color paperback and casebound books in run lengths from one to 100,000-plus. The company also offers worldwide distribution services. Courier recently bought for $39 million Dover Publications, a New York-based publisher of special-interest books.