Awards Recognize 'Green' Efforts in Publishing
The 3rd Annual SustainPrint Awards, produced by Publishing Executive and Book Business magazines, will recognize two book and two magazine publishing companies for their achievements in environmental sustainability. Nominations for this year's awards are currently being accepted (visit www.SustainPrint.com for a nomination form); the deadline is Dec. 31. A 'green' celebration of the award winners will take place Monday evening, March 23, 2009, at the New York Marriott Marquis, Times Square, N.Y., during the 2009 Publishing Business Conference & Expo.
Established in 2007 by SustainPrint.com, the awards are given in two categories:
• Newcomers of the Year: Acknowledges companies that have recently implemented substantial corporate sustainability policies or practices
• Longtime Leaders: Recognizes companies who have had environmental policies or practices in place for several years
Past Newcomer of the Year recipients include:
• Everyday with Rachel Ray, published by the Readers' Digest Association
• Nickelodeon, published by the Nickelodeon Magazine Group
• Scholastic Inc.
• Random House Inc.
Past Longtime Leader recipients include:
• Chelsea Green Publishing
• Lantern Books
• Fast Company magazine
• The National Wildlife Federation
Nominations are evaluated for their use of recycled-content paper and use of paper certified as forest-friendly by an environmental certification organization. Also considered are the bleaching processes used, the company's energy conservation efforts and carbon-footprint-reduction efforts, among other criteria.