Barnes & Noble Launches 16th Annual Summer Reading Program: Imagination's Destination
The free Summer Reading program kicks off in Barnes & Noble stores across the country May 22 and continues through September 4, 2012. Barnes & Noble.com ( www.bn.com ) will feature the reading journal, summer reading kit, and book recommendations for summer reading fun at www.bn.com/summerreading .
This year, the Barnes & Noble Summer Reading program includes seven fun activities for kids in our summer reading kit that can be downloaded from www.bn.com/summerreading .
Find Your Favorites
- Encourage children to identify their favorite authors and illustrators. This is an important part of exploring the world of books. Ask questions such as: What makes this author your favorite? Can you always identify this person's art or writing style? Is there a subject that you would like this person to explore?
Fiction & Non-Fiction
- Encourage children to explore different genres of literature. It's important that they know the difference between fiction and non-fiction. Ask children if adventure, biography, fantasy, mystery, sports and science books can be fiction, non-fiction or both.
- Reading allows us to imagine ourselves in the roles played by other people. These people can be historical figures or fictional characters. Ask children to list five characters who have captured their imagination and describe ways in which they are similar and different from themselves.
Realms of Imagination
- Our imaginations shape our sense of what is possible. Encourage children to plan their ideal summer vacation, mixing elements of real life with places they'd like to visit - maybe even a fictional destination from their favorite book.
Face to Face with History
- Learning about people, places, and events that changed the world we live in can be fun. The Face to Face with History activity from Scholastic encourages kids to think about a famous person in history they would like to know more about and use research to answer questions about this person.