DNAML Releases New 'PDF to ePub' Software
“PDF to ePub has been developed by DNAML to reduce the cost and time challenges currently retarding eBook creation and adoption. Our new software wizard has the effect of reducing the need to use perceived ‘cost effective’ outsourcing countries conversion houses,” said Schmidt.
Despite the current trend in outsourcing eBook conversion, the most significant problems identified by publishers we surveyed are:-
• The majority of publishers wish to retain secure control over their eBook files at all times.
• Conversion costs
• Quality control over the ePubAlthough the outsourcing centres have to date been viewed as lower cost options than local production houses or in-house production solutions, an average trade title still costs between US$30 to US$200 for conversion from PDF to ePub. This price point remains prohibitive to most publishers. The PDF to ePub software wizard slashes the costs for an average trade title file conversion from PDF to ePub to between $2 to $5 per trade title, depending on whether the conversion is outsourced locally, using cheaper outsourcing centres or conversion is done in house by the publisher.
With the ability to convert to ePub in-house, the publisher is able to retain full control over the quality and accuracy of the ePub eBook.
PDF to ePub is priced at $99 and allows publishers and authors to quickly convert unlimited numbers of titles from PDF to ePub. It can be purchased from www.pdftoepub.com .
PDF to ePub Functionality
• Quick conversion (2 to 5 minutes for an average trade title)
• 100% text accuracy
• Auto paragraph joining algorithm that works automatically across multiple pages
• Correctly splits final HTML into multiple segments, improving performance and lowering memory requirements for ePub readers and eBook devices
• Handles images and image positioning based on the PDF positioning
• Provides the PDF to ePub user the option to overwrite glyphs (character images) utilised within the PDF, with custom characters using a simple interface which requires no programming knowledge
• Converted ePub will be automatically validated to ensure 100% compatibility with ePub check
• Can convert from PDF to HTML allowing for web pages creation from the PDF text
• Customise PDF area to extract from thus avoiding common problems with other conversion tools like headers and footers of pages being treated as body text
• Provides the PDF to ePub user a pre-set option using PDF to ePub preset rules or to employ custom rules to the ePub conversion process
• For Advanced users - PDF to ePub uses a powerful scripting language (.lua) to allow the PDF to ePub user to fully customise how text and images are extracted from the PDF files
• Provides the end user the ability to set DPI (resolution) for images and glyph (character images)