Follett Digital Resources Signs Ten More Publishers to eBook Distribution Agreements
The Follett Digital Resources eBook distribution system uses five key pieces of technology to deliver eBooks:
* Virtual Warehousing -- Technology that holds eBooks at the ready until sold to a Follett school or library customer.
* Preview -- Functionality that allows buyers and patrons to preview pages of an eBook prior to purchase.
* Digital Rights Management -- Ensures intellectual property is protected as eBooks are distributed and viewed.
* Virtual Shelves -- A virtual space for each institution's purchased Follett eBooks where they are poised for checkout and reading by school and library patrons.
* Follett Digital Reader -- A proprietary eBook reader for viewing and interacting with eBooks offline once they have been purchased by a Follett school or public library customer and downloaded by a library patron.
When a school or library buys an eBook title from Follett Digital Resources, the title is moved to a virtual shelf where it resides until it is checked out by a school or library patron. Digital rights management technology ensures that once a title is checked out by one person, it can't be checked out by anyone else until it has been returned to the virtual shelf. Where possible, the eBook distribution system is tightly connected with leading integrated library systems (ILS), such as Follett Software Company's Destiny Library Manager, allowing searching, accessing and returning eBooks to become part of the library's standard circulation process.
"The introduction of the Follett Digital Reader earlier this year makes Follett eBooks even more appealing to students and educators," said Clark. "We're excited more and more publishers are partnering with us to deliver digital content to today's tech-savvy students."
About Follett Digital Resources
As part of Follett Corporation and its more than 135 years of industry innovations and leadership, Follett Digital Resources provides software, services and experience to help publishers and educators meet the unique needs of 21st century learners. Drawing on Follett's deep expertise in the educational publishing and distribution fields, Follett Digital Resources delivers a single source for digital solutions that not only incorporate the most advanced technology available, but are also exclusively focused on improving the learning process. Learn more at www.follettdigital.com.