NYU School of Continuing and Professional Studies to Hold Advanced Publishing Institute (API) on “Studies in Digital Book Strategy,” September 20-21
New York, NY, June 2012—The NYU School of Continuing and Professional Studies (NYU-SCPS) Center forPublishing will offer its first ever Advanced Publishing Institute (scps.nyu.edu/advancedpublishinginstitute), an elite, intensive, two-day program that will provide practical, classroom-based learning to executives about the book industry’s transition from print to digital.
Taking place September 20-21, “Studies in Digital Book Strategy” presents an opportunity for editors, marketers, agents, authors, sales staff, and other mid- to senior-level publishing professionals to expand and enhance their knowledge of digital books and the integration of print and digital. The two-day Institute will be led by top media executives and experienced NYU-SCPS Center for Publishingfaculty members, who are also senior-level executives at major publishing houses.
The Institute will focus on key topics, such as business strategies and change management, through the use of practical case studies. Course content will consist of:
· In-depth analysis of successful digital book campaigns;
· Strategy sessions on workflow, discoverability, and good (and bad) metadata;
· Understanding optimum pathways for marketing and sales data analysis;
· Navigating the new world of digital rights and permissions;
· Learning what booksellers need from editors, marketers, and everyone else on the publishing team;
· Hands-on computer laboratory time practicing key digital functions including web analytics, social media, andEPUB production; and
· Networking opportunities at lunchtime, breaks, and the post-session reception.
“The Advanced Publishing Institute is an important forum for those who want more in-depth analysis and learning than what many book conferences offer,” said Andrea Chambers, academic director of the NYU-SCPS Center for Publishing. “Unique in its faculty and hands-on approach to learning, the program is designed to help publishing professionals gain a better understanding of the technologies and strategies used regularly in their companies. It’s really a great opportunity to learn new skills and get ready for what’s next in digital books.”
The Advanced Publishing Institute will take place on Thursday, September 20 and Friday, September 21, 2012, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (6 p.m. on September 21). Enrollment is limited to 100.
The registration rate, which includes lunches, coffee breaks, and the closing reception, is $1,000. More information and registration details areavailable at http://scps.nyu.edu/advancedpublishinginstitute.