Press Release: Scholastic Launches New Subscription-Based Digital Reading Programs for Schools
NEW YORK, April 30, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Scholastic today announced the launch of Storia® School Edition , a subscription-based ebook solution for Pre-K through Grade 6, for group and individual classroom reading, and Core ClicksTM , a web-based instructional program for Kindergarten through Grade 5 that supports content area reading in social studies and science.
Storia School Edition eBooks for Group and Independent Reading A one-year subscription to Storia School Edition grants a school access to a carefully curated library of 2,000 well-known fiction and nonfiction ebooks for Pre-K-Grade 6. Titles cover an optimal range of Guided Reading and Lexile Levels for each grade and include recognizable fiction, award-winning literary classics, and engaging nonfiction to meet every student's reading level and interests. Storia School Edition supports concurrent usage within a school, allowing multiple students to access the same titles simultaneously.
Storia School Edition features that support classroom reading include:
- A balanced library of fiction and nonfiction titles to introduce students to a variety of text types;
- Storia Close Reads, short informational articles and literary passages, provide opportunities for text marking and finding textual evidence related to story, structure, and point of view;
- Grade-appropriate dictionaries to build vocabulary;
- Reading Challenge comprehension quizzes;
- Highlighting and note-taking tools to help students focus their ideas; and
- Pronunciation tools and natural-voiced Read-to-Me audio in younger titles.
Core Clicks Graded Nonfiction to Support K-5 Content Area Reading Drawing on the vast nonfiction resources of Scholastic News and Weekly Reader, Core Clicks presents leveled informational texts on 18 topics per grade, all designed to provide content area reading in science and social studies while explicitly teaching Common Core Language Arts standards at each grade level. Detailed teaching of 13 key Spotlight Skills through lively starter videos and computer-based informational text analysis provides a complete nonfiction curriculum with a carefully curated collection of informational text for each grade level, K to 5. Core Clicks was developed in consultation with Nell K. Duke, Ed.D., a professor of literacy, language, and culture at the University of Michigan, who worked closely with the editorial team on the program's adherence to best practices in literacy development and in addressing the Common Core State Standards.