- Offers discounts to nearby health clubs.
Why W. W. Norton thinks it’s a great place to work:
“Independence, pride of ownership, dedication to a shared vision, and the joy of working with great books alongside warm, intelligent and supportive colleagues make Norton the ideal place to work.”
6. Chronicle Books
U.S. Headquarters: San Francisco, Calif.
CEO: Nion McEvoy
Founded in 1966, Chronicle Books publishes more than 200 books and gift products a year, including titles in art, architecture, food, lifestyle, children’s books, stationery, decks and kits. It also manages titles for eight distribution clients, and has a backlist of more than 1,000 titles.
- Number of new hires*: 38
- Rate of voluntary turnover*: 18%
- Bonus or incentive program for all employees: Yes
- Employee stock option/profit-sharing: No/Yes
401(k) or 403(b) retirement savings program:
- Employer match: 100% of employee contributions
- Maximum match: 4%
- Paid holidays/year: 9
- PTO includes: Vacation, sick
- Vacation days available after 1 year: 16
- Maximum no. of vacation days: 22
- Sick days: 10
- Highlights: On a case-by-case basis.
- Option to work compressed work weeks: Yes (on a case-by-case basis)
- Employee assistance program: Yes
- On-site exercise and fitness facilities: Yes
- On-site fitness/wellness programs: No
- Free coffee, tea and oatmeal. Fresh, local, organic fruit delivered each week.
- Domestic partner benefits.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Company pays 100% of dental and vision coverage.
Other programs or practices that promote a healthy work/life balance:
- Yoga classes in office library.
- One paid day off/year for volunteer work and/or 2 hours/week if matched by employee’s own time.
- Company pays 90% of health coverage (75% for dependents).
- Company pays for 10 employees to travel to New Orleans each year to support Habitat for Humanity efforts.
Why Chronicle Books thinks it’s a great place to work:
“Chronicle Books possesses a sense of community that drives every aspect of our organization. Through collaboration and communication, we work together to create exceptional publishing and an even more exceptional team.”