How the Decision Process Has Changed
Making a decision with significant impact on your business is never an easy event. And it is getting tougher with the availability of Big Data, a faster rate of technology change, increased competition and multiple variables to consider. Here are the Top Ten Ways in Which the Decision-Making Process Has Changed.
- Publishers must make judgments about increasingly ambiguous factors.
- The pace of change is moving faster with no indication that the book-publishing environment will stabilize.
- The long term is not as far out as it used to be and the timeframe within which decisions are made and have relevance is shorter
- Situational awareness is more important since big sales opportunities arise and vanish quickly
- Big Data makes more quantitative information that we must unite modify qualitative factors
- Sales through bookstores are no longer the foundation of book sales and distribution
- There are many sources of information available, and sometimes the data is conflicting
- The consequences of your decisions impact more layers of decisions, now and in the future
- Decisions are not made in a vacuum and opinions of other trusted people should be sought
- As the customer base expands, more variables must be considered, and the impact of your decisions effects more people
Brian Jud is an author, book-marketing consultant, seminar leader, television host and president of Premium Book Company, which sells books to non-bookstore buyers on a non-returnable, commission-only basis and conducts on-site training for publishers' sales forces.
Brian is the author of "How to Make Real Money Selling Books (Without Worrying About Returns)," a do-it-yourself guide to selling books to non-bookstore buyers in large quantities, with no returns. He has written many articles about book publishing and marketing, is the author of the eight e-booklets with "Proven Tips for Publishing Success," and creator of the series of "Book Marketing Wizards." He is also the editor of the bi-weekly newsletter, "Book Marketing Matters."
Brian is the host of the television series "The Book Authority" and has aired over 650 shows. In addition, he is the author, narrator and producer of the media-training video program "You're On The Air."