How to Succeed In a High-Turnover Market
Book publishers have rapid turnover of their customer base. Once customers purchase a book they are out of the market for a certain period. They are not a prospect until the authors publish their next title or if the need for the content arises again (weight loss, choosing a college). A constant effort to find new buyers is necessary to increase the velocity of your cash flow. Fortunately, there are ten things you can do to generate new customers
- Reduce the cost for trying a new author (lower price; ebook; free sample chapter)
- Link to the market leaders: Just like (best in the category) but ...
- Create a series to drive adoption
- Get testimonials from established names (industry leaders, celebrities)
- Provide a "migration path" to your other titles (people who purchased X also bought Y)
- Augment value by adding something unexpected (links to other resources; coupons for discount on other products)
- Stimulate word-of-mouth communication through social networking, perpetual promotion
- Update your content (readers want the most up-to-date information)
- Sell in several different niches
- Have a range of products with different turnover velocities
Brian Jud is an author, book-marketing consultant, seminar leader, television host and president of Premium Book Company, which sells books to non-bookstore buyers on a non-returnable, commission-only basis and conducts on-site training for publishers' sales forces.
Brian is the author of "How to Make Real Money Selling Books (Without Worrying About Returns)," a do-it-yourself guide to selling books to non-bookstore buyers in large quantities, with no returns. He has written many articles about book publishing and marketing, is the author of the eight e-booklets with "Proven Tips for Publishing Success," and creator of the series of "Book Marketing Wizards." He is also the editor of the bi-weekly newsletter, "Book Marketing Matters."
Brian is the host of the television series "The Book Authority" and has aired over 650 shows. In addition, he is the author, narrator and producer of the media-training video program "You're On The Air."