Keys to Better Decision Making
In this last segment of our series on making better decisions the focus will be on what you can do to improve the accuracy and impact of your major decisions. Here are the Top Ten Keys to Making Better Decisions.
1. Define the issue to be resolved. Adhere to the axiom, "A problem well stated is half solved."
2. Begin at 30,000 feet, observing the problem statement in terms of all the big-picture issues that could impact it.
3. Reframe the initial problem as part of the broader circumstances and issues
4. Apply strategic creativity by focusing your ideas on solving the problem
5. Test your assumptions and ideas under real-world circumstances
6. Pose incisive questions, seek quantitative analysis and solicit more information from varied sources
7. Think through each decision and its relation and relevance to related issues
8. If you lack the ability to see change coming before others do, associate with people who have that perceptual acuity
9. Stay tuned in to your external environment to develop the ability to sense early warning signals and market opportunities
10. Do not be afraid to act on opportunities outside of your comfort zone
Brian Jud is the Executive Director of the Association of Publishers for Special Sales (APSS - www.bookapss.org - formerly SPAN). He is also the author of How to Make Real Money Selling Books. Brian offers commission-based sales of books to buyers in non-bookstore markets. Contact Brian at P. O. Box 715, Avon, CT 06001-0715; (860) 675-1344; firstname.lastname@example.org or www.premiumbookcompany.com twitter.com/bookmarketing
Brian Jud is an author, book-marketing consultant, seminar leader, television host and president of Premium Book Company, which sells books to non-bookstore buyers on a non-returnable, commission-only basis and conducts on-site training for publishers' sales forces.
Brian is the author of "How to Make Real Money Selling Books (Without Worrying About Returns)," a do-it-yourself guide to selling books to non-bookstore buyers in large quantities, with no returns. He has written many articles about book publishing and marketing, is the author of the eight e-booklets with "Proven Tips for Publishing Success," and creator of the series of "Book Marketing Wizards." He is also the editor of the bi-weekly newsletter, "Book Marketing Matters."
Brian is the host of the television series "The Book Authority" and has aired over 650 shows. In addition, he is the author, narrator and producer of the media-training video program "You're On The Air."