Ten Reasons You Can Make More Money Selling Books To Non-Bookstore Buyers
Significant benefits accrue to the astute publishers that grow their businesses through non-bookstore marketing. Here are 10 reasons to sell books to these buyers:
- Increased revenue. Increase your sales in a marketplace somewhat larger in size than the bookstore market. You could double your sales with additional marketing effort directed to non-bookstore markets.
- Recurring revenue. In non-bookstore marketing, your customers may place a standing order (a given number of books to be shipped automatically on some predetermined schedule). This recurring revenue improves the predictability and velocity of your cash flow.
- Lower acquisition costs. The more frequently corporate buyers re-order your book, the more profitable each sale becomes.
- Lower unit costs. The greater the quantity in which you print, the lower your unit cost will be.
- Increased profitability naturally follows, since the lower your unit cost the greater your profitability at the same selling price.
- Greater total sales. You can sell more books to an entirely new market segment.
- Less competition. When you make a sales call on corporations, government agencies or small gift shops you have the buyers’ undivided attention.
- Less discounting. Product or brand managers are looking for a premium to boost the sales of their products. They do not know if yours is priced above or below your competitors’ titles. They are only concerned with your book’s potential to increase the sales and profitability of their company’s products.
- Fewer returns. Non-retail buyers do not expect to return books.
- Negotiable terms. You may increase your flexibility in negotiations since discounts are not fixed and are typically based on the number of books purchased. Even if you negotiate a 50% discount with a buyer, you are 5 – 20% better off than selling that same book through bookstores. There are also non-price variables open to negotiation, such as shipping expenses and payment terms.
Brian Jud is an author, book-marketing consultant, seminar leader, television host and president of Premium Book Company, which sells books to non-bookstore buyers on a non-returnable, commission-only basis and conducts on-site training for publishers' sales forces.
Brian is the author of "How to Make Real Money Selling Books (Without Worrying About Returns)," a do-it-yourself guide to selling books to non-bookstore buyers in large quantities, with no returns. He has written many articles about book publishing and marketing, is the author of the eight e-booklets with "Proven Tips for Publishing Success," and creator of the series of "Book Marketing Wizards." He is also the editor of the bi-weekly newsletter, "Book Marketing Matters."
Brian is the host of the television series "The Book Authority" and has aired over 650 shows. In addition, he is the author, narrator and producer of the media-training video program "You're On The Air."