How to Comfortably Expand from Your Core Business
Why don't more publishers seek sales in non-bookstore markets where they can sell more books more profitably? One theory is that they are skilled at executing clearly defined strategies but are not comfortable applying out-of-the-box thinking. Or, when a new idea does emerge it is usually doomed because the publisher is organized to support one way of doing business and doesn't have the organization to support a new one, i.e., special sales. Here are Ten Ways to Search for New Business Opportunities and Still Stay in Your Comfort Zone
- Tackle a business innovation and growth systematically and evolutionary
- Ask, "How can we build on the capabilities and assets that already make us distinctive to enter new businesses and markets?"
- Clearly define your target buyers and ask who else can use your existing content.
- Search for unmet needs among current and new buyers and current and new markets
- Are there any trends in your target markets that portend future opportunities?
- How can you create more value for existing and potential customers?
- How can you change the format (ebooks, audio books, calendars, booklets) of existing content to increase sales opportunities?
- Can you extend your authors' brands to help them generate new sales for their books (i.e., speaking engagements, seminars)?
- Is there a publisher of complimentary products that is already in the market you seek, one that you could work with on a joint venture?
- Seek a simple extension of an existing capability or product that has applicability outside your core business
Brian Jud is the Executive Director of the Association of Publishers for Special Sales (APSS - www.bookapss.org - formerly SPAN). He is also the author of How to Make Real Money Selling Books. Brian offers commission-based sales of books to buyers in non-bookstore markets. Contact Brian at P. O. Box 715, Avon, CT 06001-0715; (860) 675-1344; email@example.com or www.premiumbookcompany.com twitter.com/bookmarketing
Brian Jud is an author, book-marketing consultant, seminar leader, television host and president of Premium Book Company, which sells books to non-bookstore buyers on a non-returnable, commission-only basis and conducts on-site training for publishers' sales forces.
Brian is the author of "How to Make Real Money Selling Books (Without Worrying About Returns)," a do-it-yourself guide to selling books to non-bookstore buyers in large quantities, with no returns. He has written many articles about book publishing and marketing, is the author of the eight e-booklets with "Proven Tips for Publishing Success," and creator of the series of "Book Marketing Wizards." He is also the editor of the bi-weekly newsletter, "Book Marketing Matters."
Brian is the host of the television series "The Book Authority" and has aired over 650 shows. In addition, he is the author, narrator and producer of the media-training video program "You're On The Air."
Reach Brian at BrianJud@BookMarketing.com or visit his website at www.PremiumBookCompany.com