Project an Image of Success and Sell More Books
Before you enter a negotiation, talk yourself into success. It sounds like a cliché, but it has proven to work. The key is to not-only say the right things to yourself, but use your physical appearance to reinforce your self-confidence. Here are Ten Ways to Project a Winning Personality in a Sales Situation.
- Not only must you be in the right place at the right time, but you must be in the right frame of mind at the right time. The attitude you project as you enter a meeting can destroy or boost your chances of success.
- You influence on other people is partially determined by factors beyond your control (height, gender), but there are things you can do to compensate. Don't try to be someone you are not - become comfortable with and use what you have.
- Use your physical presence to create trust- trust must come before a favorable decision
- Use your physical appearance to enhance your confidence - walk into the room with a poised posture and self-assured smile and you will feel more confident
- Command others' respect by demonstrating expertise, competence and commitment, not through a formal bio but through your physical presence and demeanor.
- Concentrate your pre-meeting self-talk on achieving positive outcomes and rewards
- Do no only think thoughts of power and confidence, but put them in writing
- Greet people with good eye contact and a firm handshake.
- Choose clothes that will not distract from your message. Your prospects should pay attention to what you say, not what you are wearing.
- Visually communicate and reinforce one message: you are a credible source of interesting and important information for your prospective customers.
 Be seen as a Leader, by Adam Galinsky and Gavin Kilduff, Harvard Business Review, December 2013, pp 127-130
Brian Jud is an author, book-marketing consultant, seminar leader, television host and president of Premium Book Company, which sells books to non-bookstore buyers on a non-returnable, commission-only basis and conducts on-site training for publishers' sales forces.
Brian is the author of "How to Make Real Money Selling Books (Without Worrying About Returns)," a do-it-yourself guide to selling books to non-bookstore buyers in large quantities, with no returns. He has written many articles about book publishing and marketing, is the author of the eight e-booklets with "Proven Tips for Publishing Success," and creator of the series of "Book Marketing Wizards." He is also the editor of the bi-weekly newsletter, "Book Marketing Matters."
Brian is the host of the television series "The Book Authority" and has aired over 650 shows. In addition, he is the author, narrator and producer of the media-training video program "You're On The Air."