About the Top 25
7. G.T.C. Transcontinental Group, a Canadian commercial printer, offers design, prepress, printing, finishing and shipping services. With 37 plants and numerous sales offices throughout North America, and more than 6,000 employees, Transcontinental is one of the largest printers around. Its four operating sectors include printing, publishing, distribution and technology.
8. Phoenix Color offers one- and two-color, soft and hardcover book manufacturing, and print on-demand, which includes roll-fed devices and digital webs. The Book Component division features more than 30 presses. Finishing, die-making, foil stamping and embossing are done in-house. The Thin Book division produces multicolor flatback, soft and hardcover books on two, 10-color units with roll stand sheeters. It also offers digital prepress capabilities that include remote transmission of proofs and CTP.
9. D.B. Hess is a leading web printer of 8 1/2-by-11-inch softcover publications including educational books, ancillary materials and commercial catalogs. It offers a broad range of integrated services including enhanced digital prepress operations; one- to five-color printing; sheetfed cover printing; coating and finishing; perfect and saddle-stitch bindery services; multi-component assembly and manufacturing; streamlined distribution; mailing; and warehousing.
10. Maple-Vail is a full-service book manufacturer offering
* prepress & electronic/conventional imposition, digital scanning/proofing;
* offset presses & sheetfed and web, one- and two-color printing;
* bindery & smyth-sewn and fiberbound, casebound and papercover;
* distribution & pick and pack, automated cartoning, drop shipping;
* communications & real-time Web link to job status, internal file transfer.
11. Founded in 1868, Webcrafters (once named the Democrat Printing Co.) is a privately held printing firm that serves more than 100 publishing companies, including McGraw-Hill, Harcourt and Educational Testing Service. Employee training and retention rank high on the company's priority list; as a result, two-thirds of its 700 employees have been with Webcrafters for 10 or more years. Specialities include four-color, trade and educational books.